Monday, February 18, 2008

A Bummpy Road

Where do I start? When Isaac was around 4 weeks old he started making funny noises. Me being a worried first time mom of course I take him to his pediatrician to see if anything was wrong. After a referal to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor Isaac was diagnosed with Laryngomalacia at about 6 weeks of age. It's a fancy name for "floppy epiglottis." Because his airway is floppy, when Isaac breaths in his airway colapses just a bit. The colapse is enough to cause Isaac to sound like Darth Vader with a cold-especially when he is sleeping and eating. The doc says that there is not much they can do (unless it get's really bad), and that Isaac has to wait it out. Babies with Laryngomalacia usually grow out of this condition between 12-18 months. My poor little guy!! Lately he has not been sleeping well. It's so sad....I can tell he is trying so hard to sleep but can't because his musical breathing is so loud that he wakes himself up. Him and his papa have snorring contests at night. He has had many restless nights and naps. We were disappointed at his 2 month check up to discover that he has only gained about 2 pounds since he was born. Isaac's pediatrician was worried and told us to feed him more and to see him in about two weeks. Isaac's Ear Nose and Throat Doc was also disappointed with his weight gain and sleeping issues, that he had us do a pulse ox test over night and to do a laryngobronchoscopy. So Isaac is headed to the operating room on February 21 to see if he as any other respiratory abnormalities causing him to not sleep well, and eat well. Overall, I think Isaac is a champ for having to deal with so much. He is a very happy boy when he is well rested. Your prayers for him would be greatly appreciated at this time.

As for me, I have come to the conclusion that we are in for a bummpy road. Though in the beginning before I knew how sick Isaac really was I was mad at the world. I wanted a good baby who would sleep well day and night, and who could be easily put to sleep, and who could be easily read. Okay, let's face it, I wanted Isaac to be like baby Ty ty (Elisa's- my older sister's baby)! As the Lord has humbled me I have come to realize that though Isaac is not as perfect as I would like him to be he is a child of God...And I have been choosen to guide him through this world. Every night I thank Heavenly Father for a little boy who has taught me more about myself than any other person. Isaac has taught me to be more loving, more patient, and more grateful. Realizing how special Isaac is to me makes it easy to endure those endless nights, and to endure the bouts of endless crying. Isaac is my baby, and I love him!!

7 comments:

Briawna said...

No baby is perfect! Isaac is in our prayers and so are his amazingly patient parents. I think certain children aren't sent to us because the Lord knows what we can handle. Clearly, you're a much stronger person than I am!

Jennifer Ames said...

Good luck with everything. You'll be in our prayers!

Elisa said...

Isaac is a sweet darling baby and you are right - you are blessed to be a part of his life. I know it's hard, but I promise you will look back on this one day an dbe grateful for this challenge that really made you grow. Hang in there Elli. and don't compare your baby to others. He is totally unique and amazing in his own way. And TyTy is not perfect. He's teething and hating life right now!

Jamie and Caro said...

I feel your pain. I think all mothers have been there with their first baby. Only you get to experience being a first time parent with health problems and that is never fun. You are a strong women and you will get through this. Just hand in there and call me ANYTIME! I know how lonely it can feel at 3 am when it feels like everyone in the whole wide world is sleeping except for you. Just keep in mind-my husband NEVER sleeps (too bad he's not there to take over!). It always made me feel better if I knew somebody else was up at crazy hours of the night.

Nicole & Andrew Maples said...

oh elli, i'm sorry that isaac hasn't been doing so good. I hope that his procedure went well yesterday, that is so dang hard for a mommy. brooke was super hard at the beginning, but by 3-4 months old I was surprised how even mannered she became. and since then, she's changed a lot too. I just hope that for your sake, things will get easier in a few months, and I'm sure they probably will. It's funny how you plan out exactly how everything will work and then you realize that you had no idea what you were in for! hope you are doing well! I am on med/surg too and I totally thought I could get a job in L&D like capstone. Oh well, we'll be the few with good experience in med/surg that will someday get us any job, right?

Jared and Holly Barnett said...

Thank you, Elli. Your sweet testimony has put things into better prospective for me. It's great being a mom, in its own little way. And, by the way, Isaac is looking great!

Sandee said...

Hey Elli - I hope everything is going better with Isaac right now; but if anyone understands what you're going through it's us due to our experiences with McKynlee. Hang in there.

By the way - I tagged you.. go to my blog!